Thursday, August 05, 2010

colors of summer.


It is that time of year - canning, drying, freezing, saving. I love when the summer fruit starts showing up - so sweet, so colorful, so fragrant. While fruit season doesn't last long, we try to preserve enough fruit at peak time to last the rest of the year. There is nothing like frozen fruit for smoothies in January, or dried berries for home made granola when the snow is piled high outside. It is a busy time in the kitchen, but it is worth it for all the months we get to enjoy our labor!




It is a busy time with CSA boxes, garden veggies, and recipes at my food blog, cook.eat.think. I'm starting a few things over there - photo challenges, canning, dehydrating, giveaway...all coming soon!

8 comments:

nocton4 said...

those pictures are stunning,I love this time of year x

Julie said...

Love this time of year! Your pictures look yummy:) We were able to get organic local cherries for under $1.50/lb. We got 24lbs! Got boxes of apricots out on the deck waiting to be preserved (made jam & nectar already). Going to go berry picking here soon. I'll definitely checko out your recipes, always needing inspiration in the cooking department.

denise said...

Julie - Oh, that sounds amazing! And under $1.50/pound????? Wow. While we are in the middle of an amazing area packed full of farms, farmers markets and farmstands, it can be $$ - especially fruit!

Cam said...

This post definitely made me hungry, haha!

I am IN LOVE with your header! Hellooo, vibrant colors!

Stephanie said...

so fun!
think Julie (the one above my comment) and I are heading for a long day of driving and picking, soon.
Looking forward to it!

And plum brandy with my Mirabelles! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing those gorgeous photos with us! The cherries are equally divine here in Belgium. I found your site via The Organic Sister, and am anxious to learn more about Madison, WI via your blog!

denise said...

Gypsy Mama - Hello! Oh, we had such a great time with Tara and her family when she was in Madison...nice to see you here. :) My husband has family in Belgium - I can't wait to visit some day, sounds lovely.

Emily Gardner said...

Your pictures are beautiful and inspired me in many ways. Thanks for sharing!