Monday, September 15, 2008

September Garden.


"Autumn arrives, array'd in splendid mein;
Vines, cluster'd full, add to the beauteous scene,
And fruit-trees cloth'd profusely laden, nod,
Complaint bowing to the fertile sod."
- Farmer's Almanac, 1818


I love walking through the garden on these cold gray rainy days. So many things are starting to turn - some flowers are withered, squash leaves are turning brown, the finches have picked the sunflower heads clean. But there is also so much still happening! All of the late summer flowers are in bloom and their bright colors pop on those dark wet days.


So many tomatoes still green (will they make it before the frost?), leeks and chives green and tall. Radish and spinach seedlings just peeking out of the soil.


Squash turning golden and leaves turning brown amidst the fuchsia petunias.


Raspberries ripening - so sweet and juicy they never make it into the house in our basket but are eaten right off the cane.


And the pumpkins are turning orange! We have had pumpkin vines winding through bushes, around prairie grasses, through lemon balm, over deck railings and across morning glories. Only now as the plants thin a bit and the pumpkins are turning orange can we even see where they are or how many we have. The boys love finding that peek of orange which signals another renegade pumpkin. We have some smaller ones, but we discovered a very large one in a bush the other day - very exciting!


We love the cooler days and the rain. Fall is almost upon us!

20 comments:

tiff said...

oh how fun...to find the colors in your yard...beautiful photos...and i just love that pumpkin...Fall is upon us!

Sharon said...

I am always amazed (and envious) at how much you have in your yard! Beautiful.

Ruth said...

We have many of the same things in our yard! And it is a great time of year, I agree. We lost our pumpkins this year to late frost, so sad. We'll have to buy pumpkins for Halloween, too bad.

Your photo walk is beautiful.

Maymomvt said...

I'm so envious! While I loved building our house, I have not loved figuring out our landscape. It's huge and we have no money...sometimes I just want to live in a little cottage with an already established garden that I can just tweak.

dawn klinge said...

I love it when you give us little glimpses into your garden. Pumpkins are definitely on my list of things to plant next year that I missed this year. My tomatoes are still green as well, for the most part. It won't be long before that first frost.

Simply Stork said...

what a beautiful garden :o)

~simply~

RunninL8 said...

~fingers drumming~
still waiting for tomatoes to turn and peas to appear...
OK, I've got to get out today and take some pics of the gorgeous fall colors....
what a wonderful garden you have-I've really enjoyed watching it's evolution!!

Yarrow said...

How beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed that walk through your garden in the rain. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

These are great pictures, and your garden looks and sounds wonderful!

Jodi Anderson said...

The beginnings and ends of the gardening season are my favorites. Although, I wouldn't mind a decent supply of tomatoes all year long. ;)

Mama Randa Morning Glory said...

wow! It's hard to fathom that you still have berries ripening!

mamakopp said...

Love that pumpkin photo ;)

Anonymous said...

great photos.
oh to have enough space for a small garden. i'm dreaming of hte day.

Lisa Anne said...

Great garden photos, it makes me so excited to think you have all that stuff growing in your small back yard. Truly a revolution.

Anonymous said...

what a lovely garden you have. :) our flowers are starting to wilt, too, but there's still so much going on in there!

Tara said...

Beautiful garden photos. I love that you chose to take them on a cool, wet day; the color really pops.
I am looking forward to being well enough to plant a garden next year!

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

I see I'm not the only person who loved the dewy pumpkin!

And I loved the quote as well.
we have seen frost on our pumpkins.

Anonymous said...

My favourite time of year here! I've LOVED the late summer hot days we've had the last couple of days but I must admit I'm ready for fall to begin. (And we won't even talk about what happens after fall...)

piscesgrrl said...

We have some HUGE pumpkins! And one is suspended, as the vine clambered up and over the Dogwood tree. Great pictures.

Mexanese said...

all the pictures are beautiful but the pumpkin picture is stunning *)