Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Field Trip!


When A and I discussed if there were any special things he wanted to do this fall, "field trips" came up as a big request. Each week we try to have one special outing that we designate a "field trip" which the boys select. We went to the kids museum in Rockford a few weeks back, last week we did a raspberry u-pick, and this week we went on a tour of a local creamery!

For our creamery tour several other homeschooling families joined us (hi!) - it was fun to get out with many kids in the 6 & under set. The creamery we visited (Sassy Cow) gave us a tour of the equipment and tanks, chatted about how the milk is processed (they have both organic and conventional milk), and where it goes from there to be made into ice cream, bottled on site or sold to local cheese producers. The kids also got to see a truck hooked up getting milk from a large tank. Cool!


We took a break and the kids ate some ice cream and rode pedal tractors outside. Yep. Pedal tractors!


After a bit we went back in to watch the bottling through a window. All of those kids were very energetic for the entire time, but when that bottling machine started, they were mesmerized!


The people at the creamery were all really nice (hi!) and the weather was gorgeous. Definitely a fun field trip!

12 comments:

Jodi Anderson said...

This made me kind of miss those days when my daughter was younger, and we did field trips like these.

That stated, however, we plan to do lots of "field trips" this autumn, winter, and spring.

Anonymous said...

How fun! Too bad there weren't cows there, to give the whole picture. I've always wanted to see a factory or bottling plant.

tiff said...

what a fantastic "field trip"...I want some ice-cream...YUMMERS!

fun times to go with other homeschoolers...it is so great that the boys' are planning one trip a week...so much learning to be had in the real world.

Sharon said...

That looks like a lot of fun. I love seeing the enthusiasm in their faces at that age when everything amazes.

Maymomvt said...

I had a pedal tractor when I was growing up. I loved that thing!

Anonymous said...

Where did you do the raspberry u-pick?

I'd love to find one around Madison, especially one that is organic.

Thanks!

Tara said...

Field trips are always a welcome part of our week too.
I love the name of the creamery!!

Anet said...

This reminded me of the trip to the cider mill and the children being mesmerized by the cider press. We were just discussing making some butter the other day.
Great idea to take a field trip once a week, the boys will love it!

Kitty Mommy said...

Thanks for organizing this! My kids had a blast and couldn't quit talking about it.

dawn klinge said...

I still fondly remember a field trip I took when I was in kindergarten to a dairy farm and creamery. I'm sure your boys will keep this trip as a good memory as well.

Mama Randa Morning Glory said...

oh fun! some friends and I have just formed a homeschool group that has been meeting weekly--- we have so many field trips in mind that it'll be hard to get them all in! At the top of the list is a trip to the pumpkin patch in October-- wheeee!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Sassy Cow Creamery only bottles milk from their own cows, and you can take a field trip to see the cows on the farms too! They have an organic herd and a traditional herd, and the farms are just down the road. Just ask! The owners love showing off their cows!