Thursday, February 07, 2008

Heated Rice Bag.

G modeling the rice bag

Over the past two days my 4 year old has been limping and hobbling around, complaining about a leg ache. This calls for a rice bag. Rice bags are sewn from any natural fabric*, and filled with uncooked rice. Depending upon the use, a few drops of essential oil can be added to the rice in the bag. To place on a congested chest, the rice might have a drop of eucalyptus & peppermint oil. For a headache, the rice might have a drop of lavender oil. And for this achy leg, I added peppermint oil to two bags, popped them in the microwave for about a minute, and placed them on his leg.


They are easy to make and easy to use, and while you need to be careful not to overheat the rice (give the bag a good squeeze and feel temp before placing on skin), they work great and do retain heat for a good amount of time. The boys love them, and will sit patiently with one on whatever spot is in need.

*If you make one, be sure to use natural fabrics, thread, and ribbon--some funky man made stuff might melt!

10 comments:

waldorfmama said...

oh, we just LOVE rice bags! thanks for the tips on essential oils to add!

World Wide Alternative said...

Brilliant! I might bring them out just to make the kids sit still! Xxx

Lizz said...

Yes, they are good. I used on every night in my pregnancy with Cedar on my lower belly.

Can I recommend Arnica oil for your boy's aches. It works like magic.

Stacie said...

I love rice bags. My mom makes them. I love the smell - I find it very comforting. We've never made one, but maybe we will now!

Will & Kate said...

We make ours bigger with field corn in them. They stay warm a lot longer with the bigger pieces and if you sew the bag shut, they work great to warm up the bed on a cold winter night! Also, as a bonus, they smell like popcorn! (but don't use popcorn, that wouldn't work!)
-K

denise said...

Thanks for the tip Lizz!

will & kate --Interesting! I make eye pillows filled with flax seeds and bigger closed bags for grown up use (cherry pits are great to use as filler, as they retain heat, don't mold, and have a nice weight to them).
I keep the small bags just tied so that I can add and re-fresh essential oils. I bet the field corn does smell good! :)

Claudia - La Casa nella Prateria said...

We use rice bags, too... they are just magic!

Aimee said...

very very cool! I had actually never heard of doing this...sounds like bliss! All the children will probably have all sorts of new mysterious aches and pains just to be able to use them :) And me too :)

Chole White said...

Ahh the joys of dedicated heat packs. Sure beats my usually solution; stealing one of L's bean bags!

amanda said...

great idea! Your little ones are adorable.