Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Dog days of summer.

I have been a little burned out the past few days. I think the heat does it to me every year. I am NOT a hot weather person! I sizzle by the end of the summer - particularly when it is so ridiculously hot and humid that you just want to curl up in your freezer - and so look forward to fall. With little people I think it is the same. They went from loving the hot sunny summer days just last week, to being a bit over the top with this heat and humidity that comes with the welcome rain. Being cooped up is some of it, perhaps, but even when we do go out to play they turn red, their hair soaks, and they become so cranky and belligerent with each other we just have to come back in, and the rest of the day is a challenge to keep everyone happy.

I had not originally planned to visit the Blooming Butterflies exhibit at our local conservatory on one of the hottest, most humid days of the year so far, but with a few twists and turns to our day, we ended up there this afternoon (during G's no longer napping black zone!), at the request of A.

The boys enjoyed seeing the butterflies, looking at the specimens section, and then we walked outside for a bit before retreating to a cooler, more air conditioned environment!

There were so many specimens on display - A loves that kind of stuff!

The gardens are so lush and full at this time of year, and A measured how tall the plants are now (well over his head) compared to how short they were just a few weeks ago.

No, I didn't coerce them into posing in the holes - they were doing it on their own - they are just hot and cranky!

The rain is so welcome here, and our garden loves it - and the hot humid days mean even more beans, tomatoes, corn, peppers, and even (gasp! finally!) eggplant. But at this time of year, I can almost feel fall coming, I look forward to it, and anxiously await it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen to that! I'm ready for fall myself!~