Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Frog Prince.


The Brothers Grimm story re-told by Kathy-Jo Wargin, illustrated by Anne Yvonne Gilbert

This is another book that I got for "me", but that the boys both enjoy. The artwork is absolutely gorgeous. Lush, rich, detailed, flowing, intense - just the costume detail alone is - wow. The story follows a fairly traditional version of the story, and is detailed enough for the elementary age kids, but also quick enough for the younger set.

Just a note: It is the more traditional telling where she throws the frog at the wall which is when he turns into the prince ... but it is easy to work around that for those that are not comfortable with frog-thwacking in a story, as it is just 1 sentence of the book. :)

2 comments:

Elisheva Hannah Levin said...

Wow! I love the picture on the front. My youngest is 13, but I think I want that picture book for me!

I also loved the pictures from your garden and from the beach in Indiana. I grew up in central Illinois. We used to drive up to Indiana Dunes every summer. Sigh. The pictures made me miss the midwest.

Thanks for your blog!

denise said...

That is exactly where we were - dunes all around. The midwest can be a great place to be.

I used to live in New Mexico (Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and a year in Cochiti Lake) and I MISS it there too...the sky, the smells, the stars, the bigness. Ahhhhh. :)